I. The definition of deferment is when a student delays or postpones the course (or module).
II. Conditions for deferment:
– Grounds of Deferment are the following but are not limited to: (case by case basis evaluated by the Principal)
* if the student is ill and is supported with a medical certificate issued by a recognized clinic/hospital
* events/circumstances which are beyond the schools/students control such as:
o bereavement of direct family members
o natural disaster
o work commitment (if any)
– The requests of deferment is not automatically granted unless approved by the Principal as the Chairman of BoA
– The maximum deferment period is 6 months but subject to review and approval by the Principal.
– If the student failed to return on the approved deferred period, it shall be considered as deemed automatic withdrawal from the course
III. ICA will be informed through the application of the new Student’s Pass. The course deferment is subjected to ICA’s approval of the new Student’s Pass.
IV. If the student contract is still valid, an addendum would be signed to reflect the deferment. For terminated student contracts, a new contract will be signed based on the procedures for executing student contracts.
|Deferment Application Process
Students who wish to defer are required to submit their request for deferment using the Course Deferment Form. For students under 18 years of age, the parent/guardian must approve and endorse the application form.
Upon receiving the deferment application, Operations/Admin Department will process the deferment request within 4 weeks from the point of the student’s request to inform the student of the outcome in writing and conduct an interview/counselling to:
• Understand the reason(s) for the deferment application
• Inform the student the processing time of within 1 to 4 weeks is required to process the deferment application
• Explain to the student that the parent/legal guardian’s written consent is required if he/she is under 18 years of age
• Explain to the student that the deferment application is subject to ICA approval (for student pass holders)
• Explain to the student that the maximum allowable period of deferment a student can apply is up to 6 months
• Inform the student that the FPS protection will be changed based on the deferment period and course end date
• Explain to the student that signing a new contract when a course deferment request has been approved.
The operations/Admin Department will then proceed with the deferment as follows:
• GCS will conduct interview/counselling with student/parents
• Verify and confirm that the parent/legal guardian’s written consent has been given if he/she is under 18 years of age
• Approval of deferment is also subjected to availability of the course / module offered
• For student’s pass holders, their deferment is subject to the approval of their student’s pass by ICA.
• Should the student decide to proceed with deferment, the School will note the reason for deferment on the Course Deferment Form which would be submitted for final approval. Approval will be done within 7 working days from the student’s submission date.
• A written notification will be issued to the student to inform them of the student request status. The maximum deferment period is 6 months per deferment request
• Submit the application to ICA for the course deferment (for STP Holders)
• Inform Lonpac Insurance Bhd of the course deferment and changes to the course end date
• Issue a formal letter of Reject to the student/parent if the deferment application is not approved
• Issue a formal letter to the student/parent if the deferment application is approved
• Signing a new contract or issuing an addendum to the existing contract when a course deferment has been approved.
• Update Lonpac Insurance Bhd on the deferment period, course end date, and protection coverage date
• Update the status of the student deferment in the AIMS System and Deferment record